Layla's space

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams it is still a beautiful world.

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Interviews!

I have interviews! Yes, yes, yes! Thank you God.

I have an interview for Medical Oncology on Wednesday 12th, followed 2 hours later by my Clinical Oncology one. Clin Onc is the really important one so I'm glad I've got the Med Onc one first as a kind of practice run.

Oh the relief.

I have my nose to the grindstone at the moment preparing (well, I'm trying to keep it to the grindstone but it keeps wandering off to do other things like make food and write this). I am again marvelling at my good fortune in having these days off to prepare - no work til Saturday night, plus I have Monday and Tuesday off to recover from my weekend shifts before the interview.

The 'interview suit' is hanging in the wardrobe looking at me, and the 'interview shoes' are daring me to twist an ankle when I put them on. Oh bugger, do I have any stockings without holes in them? Better get down to M+S later.

Oh please please please lovely interview panel, please give me a Clin Onc job.

4 Comments:

Blogger DHS said...

what is the difference between medonc and clinonc? I've only encountered medical oncologists at my teaching hospitals.

March 08, 2008 1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done! Sounds like you're an able candidate and have prepared well. Knock 'em dead.

March 08, 2008 11:20 PM  
Blogger Layla said...

Anon - thank you! Always good to hear some encouragement. I have everything crossed :)

dhs - Clinical Oncologists are able to plan and prescribe radiotherapy treatments as well as prescribe chemotherapy. To do this they have to pass the membership exams for the Royal College of Radiologists during their 5-year SpR training.

Medical Oncologists cannot give radiotherapy, only chemotherapy. If they have a patient who needs radiotherapy they have to refer them to a Clin Onc. They have 4 rather than 5 years at SpR grade. They also tend to be more involved in research, especially Phase I clinical trials (although research is important for Clin Oncs too) and have to get a PhD prior to becoming consultants (though again this may well become a requirement for Clin Oncs too).

Hope that clears things up for you :). If you move to a DGH at some point you'll probably come across more Clin Oncs than Med Oncs. Clin Oncs tend to live in the basement at teaching hospitals (where the RT machines live).

March 09, 2008 12:01 AM  
Blogger DHS said...

thanks! in this corner of the world, we have rad oncs who do the college of radiologists training, and med oncs who do the college of physicians training. I don't know of any joint training programs -- if you want to do both, you'd have to do both training programs sequentially (a long time!).

March 15, 2008 2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home