Layla's space

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams it is still a beautiful world.

Friday, March 09, 2007

Flat

I feel flat.

I can't really describe it any further. The dust seems to have settled over the whole job thing, the shock has been absorbed and, worryingly, the outrage has faded. That longtime friend of the British medical profession has reared its head yet again - apathy. 'What is the point?!' it asks. 'We all know the march will achieve bugger all, even if it is well-attended, which, knowing us, it won't be.'

I must say, I agree with apathy on that point. I was part of the one million strong crowd who marched against the 2nd Gulf War - fat lot of good that did. If this Government can ignore one million people, from all walks of society, on such a wide-reaching issue, it can sure as hell ignore a small sample of one part of society on an issue that, let's face it, the general public don't really know too much about. I don't think people see how it will affect them, really.

I was disappointed at David Cameron's long-awaited reply to the issue. I think that's as much as we'll get out of him now. I can't believe I actually put some faith in the Tories, of all people, to help us (I am a bleeding heart liberal, I'm afraid).

Oh God, I feel like shit. Everyone's being so fucking lame about the march. I'm trying to organise a minibus to take us down to London on the morning. We will probably have to leave around 8am, and I can just hear the moans. 'Oh, it's too early, I was on call yesterday/I went out last night/I made plans already/blah blah blah'. Half the people who have said they'll attend will be in London already and have said they will meet us there. I'm not anticipating a huge turn out from those ranks either. 'Oh, I overslept/I'll probably meet you later/I made plans/I can't be bothered/it won't make a difference'.

Now, I agree, it won't make a difference. But at least we will have tried. At least then we won't just be taking it, like we usually do. So I, for one, will be there with bells on. I wish I could say the same for my colleagues.

Please, please, please, come to the march. Come and shout and stand up for what you believe in for once. Make a stand - what have we got to lose?

3 Comments:

Blogger potentilla said...

Hi Layla. It's kind of spooky to find someone you don't know has linked your blog - glad you like it. You may turn out not to need the march. Hospital Phoenix has a press release from his Royal College saying that the review has borne fruit, and I can't believe it's just for the surgeons.

http://mmcmtas.blogspot.com/2007/03/mr-ribeiros-press-release_09.html

March 09, 2007 10:20 PM  
Blogger The Angry Medic said...

Sigh. Unfortunately I know what you mean - it's the same here in Cambridge, student activism is so sluggish simply because most students couldn't be bothered to get out of their libraries/college bars. And even David Cameron let us down with such a lame excuse. Too bad his stupidity and inability to see what a huge voter hook we threw him cost him a cosy room at No 10.

Good luck with the march. I'm going to try and be there, despite being a simple medical student.

I'm liking the way your blog's turning out to be. I'm adding you to my blogroll, if you have no objections. Hope you don't mind the heading I've given you :)

March 10, 2007 4:48 AM  
Blogger Layla said...

Potentilla - no worries. Discovered you via Dr Crippen and looking forward to trying some recipes :)

As for HP's post - God bless the surgeons again!! I hope the Royal College of Physicians will rouse itself from its gin-induced stupor and do the same.

Angry Medic - thank you very much! We need more medical students at the march - they can be relied upon to be extremely loud, which is just what we need.

March 12, 2007 12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home