Layla's space

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams it is still a beautiful world.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Shock and awe

I have just been shocked and appalled (and I thought I couldn't become any more so today) by something I saw on Dr Crippen's blog. An amazingly talented, dedicated, extremely qualified gastroenterologist has been chewed up and spat out by the MTAS machine. That is just further proof that the whole thing is one enormous lottery. I re-read my own application form today, and honestly could not see what else I could possibly have put on it to make it better. I 'ticked all the boxes' - I have distinctions from medical school, audits, national and regional presentations, publications and an SHO rotation with a good reputation. I have no career gaps and have taken my postgraduate exams as quickly as I possibly could have - I only became eligible to take PACES (experience-wise) a month before I took the exam.

So I thought my CV was good. But this guy's...bloody hell. I am speechless.

What a stupid stupid country we live in.

2 Comments:

Blogger JM said...

You know, I've always wondered how certain physicians make it thru the loop, while others get left behind.

March 01, 2007 4:59 PM  
Blogger Layla said...

Two main causative factors for this in MTAS' case, I think:

1) it's a bloody lottery
2) they haven't bothered to read everyone's application forms

March 03, 2007 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home