Layla's space

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams it is still a beautiful world.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Sympathy for medical students

Hello. Long time no post. Just got out of the habit I suppose. However I am now revising for exams (yet again) and thus am always eager to find ways to waste time.

My dad forwarded me some old emails that I had sent to him and my mum when I was on elective etc. Hidden amongst them was one I'd sent them when I started my 1st clinical attachment as a 3rd year medical student. Reading it made me resolve to be more sympathetic to the confused, gormless looking types I see wandering around these days:

'....we are killing time at the moment as the doctor we were supposed to have a ward round with this morning didn't know we existed, so buggered off and did something else. We have something at 11 in another part of the hospital which we don't know how to get to, then Urology this afternoon and then a tutorial in X Community Hospital later (we went to that yesterday only to be told we were supposed to be there today, then we couldn't get back into the hospital because we didn't know the code for the door, so wandered round for half an hour being faced by barbed wire fences at every turn before we finally made it back to the front entrance). X Community Hospital is approximately 5,024 years old and smells like it is older. Main Teaching Hospital isn't too bad though, although we don't know where anything is....

'So you see I haven't really done anything yet. We don't have a timetable for the term yet as our Consultant doesn't start work til next week, so I don't know what things will be like yet. I don't know what study module I'm doing yet either, but I do know we have lectures on Wednesdays - this week's goes under the exciting title of 'Pathology Symposium' (now we're clinical students we have 'symposia' instead of lectures, but they are basically still lectures)....

'Should be an interesting year. I have to go wander around aimlessly now, so I will leave it here.'

To any 'surprise' medical students I've been stroppy with for pitching up in my busy clinic, I apologise. I remember now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous sewa mobil said...

Nice article, thanks for the information.

July 28, 2011 10:38 PM  
Blogger In Rude Health said...

Dear Layla,

I know you've not blogged for many years now, but I'm giving you a try just in case you pick up comments...

My name is Robbie, and I'm editing In Rude Health, a book of humorous medical anecdotes that will be illustrated and published at Christmas-time by Freight Books, a small Scottish publisher (www.freightbooks.co.uk). In my research for this book I've been reading through blogs such as yours, and I was wondering if you would have any you'd like to contribute. Naturally, the more risqué the might be the better, but what I'm aiming to do is make something funny and enjoyable, but which also shows Joe public just what sort of things you folk in the NHS have to deal with.

Naturally all stories submitted will be treated as completely anonymous. I do hope you will consider submitting a story or two. Please email them to: inrudehealth@gmail.com

Best wishes,

Robbie

May 28, 2013 12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home